This occupation group covers Marine Transport Professionals not elsewhere classified. Registration or licensing is required. Occupations include: Boating Safety Officer (Aus); Marine Safety Officer; Vessel Traffic Officer (Aus)
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- directing fishing operations by using knowledge about the species sought, fishing areas, seasons and the capabilities of the vessel and crew
- directing crew in catching fish, molluscs and crustacea at varying depths using nets, lines, poles, pots and traps
- planning, controlling and coordinating the operational and maintenance requirements of a ship's propulsion and domestic plant and equipment
- operating plant and equipment and performing routine maintenance on ship's systems including mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, steam generating, and fire prevention and control systems
- controlling and directing shipping operations to ensure the safe and efficient loading and transport of cargo and passengers
- ensuring compliance with regulations pertaining to safety at sea and protection of the marine environment
- directing the activities of the deck crew for navigational support tasks, berthing and unberthing, maintenance, cleaning and painting of superstructures, and repair and replacement of defective deck gear and equipment
- navigating a ship by supervising the ship's course and speed according to predetermined passage plans and safety procedures
- examining and approving design plans of hulls and equipment such as main propulsion engines, auxiliary boilers and turbines, electrical power generating plant, refrigeration and airconditioning plant and pumping systems
- conducting periodic surveys throughout a ship's life to ensure standards are maintained
Source: 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition.
Note: The tasks associated with the occupation are to be used as guidance only. The tasks listing may include tasks associated with the grouping/category to which the occupation belongs.
2 courses found.
MAR31222: Certificate III in Autonomous Maritime Systems
MAR30022: Certificate III in Vessel Traffic Services