Removes wool and hair from sheep, goats, alpacas and other animals.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below. AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
- selecting and preparing shearing equipment
- catching and positioning animals for shearing
- shearing and removing wool and hair from animals
- identifying contaminated fibre and injured, infected and diseased animals
- treating skin cuts
- returning shorn animals to let-out pens for counting and checking
- may service, maintain and repair shearing equipment
- may shear stud animals with hand shears or special combs
Source: 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition.
Note: The tasks associated with the occupation are to be used as guidance only. The tasks listing may include tasks associated with the grouping/category to which the occupation belongs.